George E. Nasr
Dr. Nasr played a major role in the establishment and development of the School of Engineering and Architecture at LAU, from which the current engineering school stems. In 1993, Dr. Nasr convened a university-wide committee whose work led to the formalization of the School of Engineering and Architecture in 1995. In the same year, he was appointed Chair of the newly established Department of Electrical, Computer and Industrial Engineering, a position he held until October 2005 when he became Acting Dean of the school. In October 2006, Dr. Nasr was appointed Dean of the School of Engineering and Architecture at LAU.
Dr. Nasr is an active scholar as well as a frequent participant in organizational and technical committees of several international conferences.
He is a member of Eta Kappa Nu, Sigma Pi Sigma, Tau Beta Pi, American Society for Engineering Education, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, and the Order of Engineers in Lebanon.
Dr. Nasr’s research interests include nonlinear systems, mathematical modelling and optimization, neural networks, energy modelling and forecasting, and engineering education. He was instrumental in forming the multidisciplinary energy research group at LAU which has pioneered research on energy modelling and forecasting in Lebanon.
- Badr, E.A., Nasr, G.E., and Dibeh, G.L., “Econometric Modeling of Gasoline Consumption: A Cointegration Analysis,” Energy Sources, Part B: Economics, Planning, and Policy, v. 3, No 3, pp. 305-313, 2008.
- Nasr, G.E., Dibeh G., and Achkar A., “Predicting Business Cycle Turning Points with Neural Networks in an Information-Poor Economy,” Proc. of the SCS Summer Computer Simulation Conference – SCSC’07, San Diego, California, July 2007.
- Nasr, G.E., Dibeh G., and Abdallah M., “Modelling Exchange Rates during Currency Crisis using Neural Networks,” Proc. of the IASTED International Conference on Applied Simulation and Modelling – ASM 2006, Rhodes, Greece, June 2006.
- Dibeh, G. and Nasr, G.E., “Testing for Nonlinearities in Exchange Rates: An Application to Currency Crisis,” Intelligent Engineering Systems Through Artificial Neural Networks, Vol.14, C.H. Dagli et al., Eds., pp. 735-740, ASME Press, New York, 2004.
- Nasr, G.E., Joun, C., and Zaatar, W., “A Gui-Based Artificial Neural Network Simulator,” Proc. of the 7th Seminar on Neural Network Applications in Electrical Engineering – NEUREL 2004, IEEE Press, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro, September 2004.
- Nasr, G.E., Badr, E.A., and Joun, C., “Back Propagation Neural Networks for Modeling Gasoline Consumption,” Energy Conversion and Management, v. 44, No 6, pp. 893-905, 2003.
- Nasr, G.E., and Badr C., “BUC Algorithm for Iceberg Cubes: Implementation and Sensitivity Analysis,” Proc. of the 16th International Artificial Intelligence Research Symposium. 1, pp. 255-259, AAAI Press, Florida, May 2003.
- Saab, S.S., Nasr, G.E., and Badr, E.A., “Compensation of Axle-Generator Errors Due to Wheel Slip and Slide,” The IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, v. 51, No 3, pp. 577-587, 2002.
- Nasr, G.E., Badr, E.A., and Joun, C., “Cross Entropy Error Function in Neural Networks: Forecasting Gasoline Demand,” Proc. of the 15th International Artificial Intelligence Research Symposium, v. 1, pp. 381-384, AAAI Press, Florida, May 2002.
- Nasr, G.E., Badr, E.A., and Younes, M.R., “Neural Networks in Forecasting Electrical Energy Consumption: Univariate and Multivariate Approaches,” International Journal of Energy Research, v. 26, No 1, pp. 67-78, 2002.
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Kentucky, USA, 1988
M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Kentucky, USA, 1985
B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Kentucky, USA, 1983
George E. Nasr
Professor and Dean