Joe M. Tekli
Main research area: XML Similarity-based Data Processing. Techniques and Applications: Document and Grammar Comparison; Structural Similarity and Tree Edit Distance; Semantic Similarity and Knowledge Bases; Clustering & Classification; Version Control; Schema Mapping; GML Information Retrieval; SOAP Multicasting; RSS Data Integration.
Other research Interests: Image Clustering; Image Search Result Organization, Multimedia Fragmentation, Image Accessibility for Visually Impaired Users.
Current Research Projects
- Project title: “Easy Search and Partitioning of Visual Multimedia Data Repositories (MediaCorpus)”, (duration:2 years, Jan. 2012 - Dec. 2013), funded by the C.E.D.R.E. research collaboration program co-founded by the French and Lebanese National Scientific Research Centers (CNRS). Partners: LE2I Laboratory UMR-CNRS, University of Bourgogne (UB), France, and the Faculty of Engineering, Antonine University (UPA), Lebanon, involving more than 10 researchers from partner institutions namely: Rice University, USA, IDIAP Research Institute, Switzerland, and Pear Advisors Offshore, Lebanon. Personal Role: Project coordinator of Lebanese team.
- Project title: “XML-based Geo-Climate Approximate Pattern Search and Pattern Discovery in Large Databases (XGC-Miner)” (duration: 2 years, Jan. 2013 - Sept. 2014), funded by STICAmSud international collaboration program, supported by the French CNRS and INRIA, the Brazilian CAPES and the Peruvian CONCYTEC. Partners: LE2I Laboratory UMR-CNRS, University of Bourgogne (UB), France, the Institute of Computer Science and Mathematics (ICMC), University of Sao Paulo (USP), Brazil, and the San Pablo Catholic University, (UCSP), Peru. Personal Role: Research team leader in French team.
- Joe Tekli; Ernesto Damiani; Richard Chbeir and Gabriele Gianini, SOAP Processing Performance and Enhancement. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (IEEE TSC), 5(3): 387-403, 2012.
- Joe Tekli and Richard Chbeir; A Novel XML Structure Comparison Framework based on Sub-tree Commonalities and Label Semantics, Elsevier Journal of Web Semantics (JWS): Science, Services, and Agents on the World Wide Web, 11: 14-40, 2012.
- Joe Tekli and Richard Chbeir, Minimizing User Effort in XML Grammar Matching. In Elsevier Information Sciences Journal, 210: 1-40, 2012.
- Joe Tekli; Ernesto Damiani; and Richard Chbeir, Using XML-based Multicasting to Improve Web Service Scalability, International Journal on Web Services Research (IJWSR), 9(1):1-29, 2012.
- Joe Tekli; Agma M.J. Traina; Caetano Trania Jr. and Richard Chbeir, XML Document-Grammar Comparison: Related Problems and Applications. The Central European Journal of Computer Science (CEJCS), Inaugural Issue, 1(1):117-136, 2011.
- Fekade Getahun Taddesse; Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; Marco Viviani; and Kokou Yetongnon, Semantic-based Merging of RSS Items. The World Wide Web (WWW) Journal, Internet and Web Information Systems, Special Issue on Human-Centered Web Science. Springer Netherlands, 13(1-2): 169-207, 2010.
- Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; and Kokou Yétongnon, An Overview of XML Similarity: Background, Current Trends and Future Directions. Elsevier Computer Science Review, 3(3):151-173, 2009.
- Joe Tekli; Antoine Abou Rjeily; Richard Chbeir; Minale A. Abebe; Pelagie Houngue; Kokou Yetongnon; and Gilbert Tekli, Semantic to Intelligent Web Era: Building Blocks, Applications, and Current Trends. Accepted (to appear) in Proceedings of the International ACM Conference on Management of Emergent Digital EcoSystems (ACM MEDES’13), 2013.
- Joe Tekli; Ernesto Damiani; and Richard Chbeir, Differential SOAP Multicasting. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Web Services (IEEE ICWS’11), Washington DC, USA, 2011, pp. 1-8
- Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; Fernando Ferri; and Patrizia Grifoni, Toward Approximate GML Retrieval based on Structural and Semantic Characteristics. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE’10), Vienna, Austria, 2010, pp. 16-34.
- Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; and Kokou Yetongnon, Extensible User-based Grammar Matching. Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER’09), SPRINGER VERLAG LNCS 5829, Brazil, 2009, pp. 294-314.
- Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; Kokou Yétongnon, Structural Similarity Evaluation between XML Documents and DTDs. In Proc. of the 8th International Conference on Web Information Systems Engineering (WISE’07), SPRINGER VERLAG LNCS, France, 2007, pp. 196-211.
- Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; and Kokou Yétongnon, Efficient XML Structural Similarity Detection using Sub-tree Commonalities. Proc. of the 22nd Brazilian Symposium on Databases (SBBD’07), Best Paper Award, ACM SIGMOD DiSC, Brazil, 2007, pp. 116-130.
- Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; and Kokou Yétongnon, A Fine-grained XML Structural Comparison Approach. In Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER’07), Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Auckland, New Zealand, LNCS 4801, 2007, pp. 582-598.
- Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; and Kokou Yétongnon. A Hybrid Approach for XML Similarity. Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science (SOFSEM’07), SPRINGER VERLAG LNCS, Harrachov, Czech Republic, 2007, pp. 783-795.
- Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; and Kokou Yetongnon, Semantic and Structure Based XML Similarity: An Integrated Approach. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Management of Data (COMAD’06), Delhi, India, 2006, pp. 32-43.
- Awada A., Bou Issa Y., Ghannam C., Tekli J., Chbeir R., Towards Digital Image Accessibility for Blind Users Via Vibrating Touch Screen: A Feasibility Test Protocol. International Conference on Signal Image Technology and Internet based Systems (SITIS’12), pp. 547-554, 2012.
- Manami Harazaki; Joe Tekli; Shohei Yokoyama; Naoki Fukuta; Richard Chbeir; and Hiroshi Ishikawa, XBeGene: Scalable XML Documents Generator By Example Based on Real Data. Inter. Conf. on Data Engineering and Internet Technology (DEIT’11), Bali, Indonesia, 2011.
- Fekade Getahun; Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; Marco Viviani; and Kokou Yétongnon, Relating RSS News/Items. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE’09), SPRINGER VERLAG LNCS, San Sebastian, Spain, 2009, pp. 44-452
- Fekade Getahun; Joe Tekli; Solomon Atnafu; and Richard Chbeir, Towards Efficient Horizontal Multimedia Database Fragmentation using Semantic-based Predicates Implication. In the 22nd Brazilian Symposium on Databases (SBBD’07), ACM SIGMOD DiSC, Brazil, 2007, pp. 68-82.
- Samir Saad; Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; and Kokou Yétongnon, Towards Multimedia Fragmentation, Proc. of the 10th East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems (ADBIS’06), SPRINGER VERLAG LNCS, Greece, 2006, pp. 415-429.
International Workshops and Demonstrations:
- Amine Awada; Youssef Bou Issa; Joe Tekli; and Richard Chbeir, Evaluation of Touch Screen Vibration Accessibility for Blind Users, In Proceedings of the 15th ACM SIGACCESS International Conference on Computers and Accessibility (ACM ASSETS’13), Washington DC, USA, 2013.
- Alceu Ferraz Costa, Joe Tekli, Agma J.M. Traina, Fast Fractal Stack: Fractal Analysis of Computed Tomo-graphy Scans of the Lung, International ACM Workshop on Medical Multimedia Analysis and Retrieval (MMAR’11), co-located with International ACM Conference on MultiMedia (ACM MM’11), Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, 2011.
- Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; and Kokou Yetongnon, XS3: A System for Similarity Evaluation in Multimedia-based Heterogeneous XML Repositories. Proc. of the International ACM Conference on MultiMedia (ACM MM’08) demo sessions, Canada, 2008, pp. 1019-1020.
- Fekade Getahun; Solomon Atnafu; Joe Tekli; and Richard Chbeir, The Use of Semantic-based Predicates Implication to Improve Horizontal Multimedia Database Fragmentation. ACM Multimedia International Workshop on the Many Faces of Multimedia Semantics, University of Augsburg, Germany, 2007, 29-38.
- Joe Tekli; Richard Chbeir; and Kokou Yétongnon, Semantic and Structure Based XML Similarity: The XS3 Prototype. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Management of Data (COMAD’06) demo sessions, New Delhi, India, 2006, pp. 235-238.
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
- Visiting Professor, LIUPPA Laboratory, University of Pau and Adour Countries (UPPA), France, 2013
- Visiting Professor, LIUPPA Laboratory, University of Pau and Adour Countries (UPPA), France, 2012
- National Assistant/Associate Professor Qualification - Ministry of Education and Research, France, 2011
- Postdoctoral Scholarship, Research Support Foundation of the State of Sao Paulo (FAPESP), Brazil, 2010
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Japan, 2010
- Postdoctoral Research Grant, Fondazione Cariplo, Italy, 2009
- Highest Honors (Summa Cum Laude), Ph.D., LE2I Laboratory UMR-CNRS, Dijon, France, 2009
- Best Paper Award, SBBD’07 - Brazilian Symposium on Databases, Joao Pessoa, Brazil, 2007
- PhD Graduate Fellowship, Ministry of Education and Research, France, 2007
- Research Masters Scholarship, AUF - International French Universities Agency, Beirut, Lebanon, 2006
- Honors (Distinction Very Good, Top of Class) - Research Masters (M.S.), University of Bourgogne (UB), Dijon, France, 2006
- Honors (Distinction Very Good - Top of Class) - Masters of Engineering (M.E.), Antonine University (UPA), Baabda, Lebanon, 2005
- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Bourgogne (UB), Department of Engineering Sciences, LE2I Laboratory UMR-CNRS, Dijon, France. Awarded with Highest Honors (Summa Cum Laude). Ministry of Education and Research France) Graduate Fellowship, 2009
- Research Masters (M.S.), Computer Science, Instrumentation and Image Informatics, University of Bourgogne (UB), Department of Engineering Sciences, LE2I Laboratory UMR-CNRS, Dijon, France. Awarded with distinction Very Good, Top of class. AUF (Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie) Scholarship, 2006.
- Masters of Engineering (M.E.) in Computer and Telecommunications, Antonine University (UPA), Faculty of Engineering, Baabda, Lebanon. Awarded with distinction Very Good, Top of class, 2005.
- University of Sao Paulo (USP), Institute of Computer Science and Mathematics, Sao Carlos, Brazil. Subject: XML Keyword-based Search and Retrieval. Host Professors: Caetano Traina Jr. and Agma J.M. Traina. FAPESP (Research Foundation of the State of Sao Paulo) Postdoctoral Scholarship, Duration: 12 months, 2010-2011.
- University of Shizuoka, Department of Science and Technology, Hamamatsu, Japan. Subject: Web Image Search Result Clustering and Organization. Host Professor: Hiroshi Ishikawa. JSPS (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science)Postdoctoral Fellowship, Duration: 3 months, 2010.
- University of Milan (UNIMI), Department of Information Technology, Crema, Italy. Subject: SOAP Security-based Multicasting. Host Professor: Ernesto Damiani. Fondazione Cariplo Postdoctoral Research Grant, Italy, Duration: 6 months, 2009-2010
- Member of IEEE (since 2010)
- Member of ACM SIGAPP French Chapter (since 2009)
- Tutorial chair of International ACM MEDES Conference (since 2013)
- Publicity chair of International IEEE ICWS Conference (since 2012)
- Reviewer in various international journals and conferences (since 2007) namely: IEEE Transactions on Service Computing (IEEE TSC), Elsevier Information Systems (IS), Elsevier Information Sciences, Journal of Digital Information Management (JDIM), International Journal of Computational Intelligence Research (IJCIR), International Journal of Business Intelligence and Data Mining (IJBIDM), Multimedia Tools and Applications (MATP), Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS), Journal of Information Assurance and Security (JIAS), and Springer Computing journal.
- Member of technical program committee of various international conferences: IEEE ICWS (since 2012), CLOSER (since 2012), ACM MEDES (since 2009), SITIS (since 2009), IARIA ICDS 2012, CLOUD 2010, OTM DOA-SVI 2010, ICDIM 2007-2008.
Joe M. Tekli