M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
The Masters of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering supports the Lebanese American University’s core mission, vision and values by: a commitment to excellence in education in a new field, constantly striving to improve the overall quality of teaching, research, writing and educational service. The aim of the program is thus to advance an academic understanding of contemporary Mechanical Engineering and address its complexities.
In line with its mission to serve the people of Lebanon and the region in order to achieve economic prosperity and build a better world, and as part of its commitment to provide quality education, the School of Engineering plans to offer graduate studies at the level of a Master’s degree. These degrees respond to a need at the national level for specialized programs and are intended to offer graduate students the opportunity to widen the horizons of their theoretical and practical knowledge, engage in basic and applied research, and prepare themselves for further studies or professional practice.
The graduate programs are expected to enrich our undergraduate programs by offering more graduate level elective courses that fifth year engineering students can take. It is also expected to foster research, which in turn is an essential component of faculty and student academic development.
The graduate program in Mechanical Engineering strives to provide students with an in-depth and contemporary education that prepares them to be successful leaders in mechanical engineering industries as well as successful researchers able to pursue doctoral studies.
The objectives of the M.S. Program in Mechanical Engineering are to:
- Reinforce the fundamental concepts, skills, and professional knowledge needed for the design of engineered systems.
- Prepare students for the doctoral studies by further refining their skills and knowledge through formal education and training, independent inquiry, seminars, and research.
- Advance students professionally in positions of increasing leadership responsibilities with global or socially responsible implications.
Upon completion of the program the students will be able to:
- Apply their mechanical engineering knowledge to solve complex problems and evaluate current and emerging technologies in a chosen focus area of Mechanical Engineering.
- Demonstrate breadth of knowledge of Mechanical Engineering.
- Assess the impact of their work on society, encompassing environmental, ethical, and global aspects and constraints.
- Demonstrate the ability to independently complete and document a technical project.
The M.S. degree requires 30 hours of graduate-level courses. Students must complete all the requirements for a Master’s Degree, including the accepted transferred credits, within six years, as of the end of the first semester.
This program is offered on the Byblos campus.