B.E. in Civil Engineering
The Bachelor of Engineering degree program in Civil Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org .
ABET is the global accreditor of college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology.
ABET accreditation assures that programs meet standards to produce graduates ready to enter critical technical fields that are leading the way in innovation and emerging technologies, and anticipating the welfare and safety needs of the public.
The civil engineering program provides a superior education to those who wish to become talented and creative engineers. It draws upon LAU’s broad resources in sciences and liberal arts. Graduates of the civil engineering program have a strong theoretical background, training in the latest design methods, and proficiency in technological applications.
The courses offered by the civil engineering department cover construction, environmental, geotechnical, structural, transportation, and water resources engineering, as well as surveying.
Our graduates go on to pursue various careers in design, construction, management, and research. They are prepared to work effectively in today’s work environment because they are technically competent, critical thinkers, and abreast of the latest technical software.
The Mission of the Department of Civil Engineering at the Lebanese American University is to provide students with a quality and challenging education, through innovative teaching, professional practice and community service, enabling the students to enrich their lives and make valuable contributions to their communities.
Within a few years of graduation, the graduates of the Civil Engineering program will:
- Achieve success in their chosen career path be it professional practice or graduate studies
- Adapt to meet the changing requirements of the job market
- Be responsible citizen engineers
The students will acquire in their matriculation through the program, the following skills, knowledge, and behaviors:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- A broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context.
- A recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in life long learning.
- A Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
|ENG202||Advanced Academic English||3|
|CIE202||Mechanics of Materials||3|
Basic Biology OR
|ENG203||Fundamental of Oral Communication||3|
|—-||Liberal Arts Curriculum Elective||3|
|CIE302||Structural Analysis I||3|
|CIE303||Structural Analysis - SOFT||1|
|CIE306||Concrete Structures I||3|
|CIE307||Concrete Structures I-SOFT||1|
|CIE461||Transportation Engineering -SOFT||1|
|GNE331||Probability and Statistics||3|
|INE320||Engineering Economy I||3|
|——||Liberal Arts Curriculum Elective||3|
|CIE445||Soil Mechanics - LAB||1|
|CIE424||Water Distribution & Treatment||3|
|CIE425||Environmental Engineering -LAB||1|
|CIE465||Transportation Systems Engineering||3|
|CIE480||Civil Eng. Management Fundamentals||3|
|CIE426||Wastewater Collection & Treatment||3|
|CIE427||Environmental Engineering - SOFT||1|
|CIE447||Geotechnical Engineering - SOFT||1|
|CIE486||Construction Management - SOFT||1|
|CIE498||Professional Experience - Civil||6|
|CIE436||Detailing for Civil Engineers||2|
|CIE434||The Civil Engineering Profession||2|
|—||Liberal Arts Curriculum Elective||3|
|CIE499||Capstone Design Project||3|
|—||Liberal Arts Curriculum Elective||3|
|CIE510||Finite Element Method I||3|
|CIE512||Concrete Structures II||3|
|CIE516||Adv. Steel Design and Behavior||3|
|CIE517||Earthquake Analysis of Structures||3|
|CIE518||Adv. Stru. Anal. for Grav. & Lat. Load||3|
|CIE520||Solid Waste Management||3|
|CIE522||Environmental Impact Assessment||3|
|CIE525||Environmental Policy and Management||3|
|CIE540||Advanced Geotechnical I Engineering||3|
|CIE544||Geotech. Asp. of Earthquake Eng.||3|
|CIE562||Airport Planning and Design||3|
|CIE563||Transportation Planning and Land Use||3|
|CIE564*||Mass Transit Systems||3|
|CIE565||Airport Planning and Design||3|
|CIE584||Quality Management Systems||3|
|CIE585||Risk and Natural Hazard Management||3|
|CIE586||Construction Decision under Uncertainty||3|
|CIE587||Construction Cost Engineering||3|
|CIE588||Construction Estimating I||3|
|CIE596||Topics in Civil Engineering||3|
Or any other approved technical elective by the department.
Note: All technical electives require at least senior standing in addition to their relevant pre- requisites.
^All CIE and MTH courses require a passing grade of C.
* Courses Not Offered for the Past Two Years
The program can be completed in four academic years and three summers after the Lebanese Baccalaureate.
This program is offered on the Byblos campus. The first year of the program may be completed in Beirut.